Friday, November 14, 2008

Shopping in a Time Warp

I like to save my clothing shopping for vacations, but Buenos Aires is not the destination for wardrobe upkeep. Here are some things that I have seen on people in the streets, as well as in the shops:
-Harem pants, and their masculine boyfriend, MC Hammer pants.
-Mullets, and their very evil cousin, the rat-tail. I've even seen the kind of tail that is dyed blond and braided, as well as the multiple tails to one rat look.
-PacMan fever has struck here - several different styles of PacMan t-shirts.
-Bright colors, like fluorescent pink, bright yellow, Barney purple and bright green.
-Jeans in the above said solid colors.
-Jeans with zippers at the ankle (though sadly I'm starting to see these in NY as well)
-And while shopping, I've heard just about every track off of INXS' 1987 classic album "Kick."

We had spent the week scouring different neighborhoods (Palermo, Recoleta; hoods known for their shopping) for just one piece of clothing that I could wear proudly on the streets of New York. I finally got a tip from a fan of our band on where to find the rock'n'roll fashions in this town and we found the Gallerie at Bond Street (or something like that, since it's not on Bond Street), which is pretty much a clone of London's Kensington Market, i.e. a little mall that houses tattoo shops, punk clothing stores, record shops, etc. I did manage to walk away with one pair of jeans (with a few paint speckles, keeping in line with the '80s theme) and two t-shirts. Just another reason this is a sudden "budget travel" destination.

No comments: