Thursday, April 5, 2007

Why I'm Glad to be a Nilsen

Every time I pull out my passport, I am reminded why I am so glad to be a Nilsen, and on this day, my fifth wedding anniversary, I shall share it with you as well.

Nilsen is a name of Norwegian origin, and Bryan comes from a long line of tall men with first names like Bobcat. It is actually a tad bit harder to spell than Orsini, surprisingly, but as I said, there is a reason I now prefer Nilsen.

Meet Patricia Orsini:

A naive Ms. Orsini at 22 years old was never told that your passport picture stays with you for a full ten years. As such, were I not to marry Mr. Nilsen, I would still be showing Immigrations and Customs officials this photo around the world until this coming July. Now for some reason I choose to share it with you. Notice the despondent look on my face, the circles under the eyes, the half smile. Clearly what this girl needed was a dose of Bryan Nilsen.

Now meet Mrs. Patricia Nilsen!

Most couples aren't lucky enough to have a before and after picture, but, well, I am! Yes, my hair already looks dated, but you can see the extra life, that joie de vivre that Bryan injected into my world. Bryan not only makes me smile daily and laugh at jokes that nobody else seems to find funny, but he gave me a chance for a fresh start; a chance so that I am no longer studied going through customs with quizzical looks that seem to ask "Is this girl a terrorist?" No, now, I am proudly a Nilsen. Thank you, Bryan, for everything. Happy Anniversary to us, and Happy Anniversary to me!!!

No comments: